PEOPLE'S BIODIVERSITY REGISTER (PBR)
THE PREPARATION OF PEOPLE’S BIODIVERSITY REGISTERS:
People’s Biodiversity Registers: The Register of the people, by the people and for the people.
The objectives of the PBR formation are:
- To claim justified benefit sharing by the local people for any commercial use of their BD resources (BD elements + knowledge)
- To explore enterprises based on their BD resources
- To develop exhaustive database to help effective intervention for development and conservation.
- Along with this information, the Registers will also contain extensive annotations on the landscape of the area, present land use patterns and the same over a timescape, an overview of the peoplescape and other relevant data deemed necessary for planning proper future strategies of local level management of resources.
Preparation of Peoples Biodiversity Registers include
- Comprehensive information on availability and knowledge of local biological resources, their medicinal or any other use or any other traditional knowledge associated with them;
- Data about the local vaids and practitioners using the biological resources
- Details of the access to biological resources and traditional knowledge granted details of the collection fee imposed and details of the benefits derived and the mode of their sharing.
- The major ways of collecting data for the PBR includes
- Interviews of knowledgeable individuals/ veterans;
- Group interviews;
- Field observations by volunteers and technical support groups and
- Existing official documents.